In order to restart operations and Return to Sport (“RTS”) during the COVID-19 pandemic, while maintaining compliance with the Provincial Health Officer, the Apex Ski Club (“club”) is following guidelines set out by our provincial sport organization, BC Alpine, in accordance with the viaSport Return to Sport Guidelines for BC by publishing this Return to Sport Plan for our club.
The five guiding principles of our return plan are as follow.
We require all members to read and understand this plan and sign a copy of the attached “SPORT PARTICIPANT COVID-19 AGREEMENT” prior to involvement in any club event.
The Apex Ski Club has appointed Heather Raymond as our primary point of contact regarding this document and our COVID-19 Return to Sport process. Any questions or communications around these matters, including reports of cases of COVID-19 among participants, should be directed to Heather Raymond to ensure our policies are being fully adhered to.
This plan has been approved by our Board of Directors on August 10, 2020.
1. Process to Open Safely
- To ensure a safe opening we will not allow participation by the following individuals or groups:
- People who are currently infected with COVID-19.
- Anyone who is under quarantine or who has symptoms of respiratory infection such as fever, sore throat, runny nose, cough, or general disorders.
- People who are immunocompromised or believed to be at-risk for COVID-19. Consideration will be given to participants with medical documentation supporting participation.
- Non-members of a sanctioned BC Alpine Club.
- Members who do not submit a properly signed “Sport Participant COVID-19 Agreement”.
- Members who do not follow the instructions or guidelines provided in this Return to Sport Plan and/or the Sport Participant COVID-19 Agreement.
- Every club activity will have a designated responsible organizer who will maintain a complete list of participants which will be made available to the club’s COVID-19 RTS primary contact person.
- Club facilities have been thoroughly cleaned and new cleaning regimes have been put in place to maintain a high level of sanitization. There may be new signage at the club further explaining these procedures, as well as changes to maximum occupancy, and we ask that all members read and abide by the new rules.
- High risk activities will be avoided. We will be focusing on skill development and fitness during this time.
- There must be good hygiene practices in connection with the activity, e.g. access to hand sanitizer, routine hand washing and thorough cleaning of sports equipment before and after the activity.
- We ask that any person/s participating monitor potential symptoms and use the COVID-19 self-assessment tool found at https://bc.thrive.health/
When an activity is being held at the Apex Mountain Resort our members must also agree to follow the venue’s guidelines.
2. Measures to keep people safe to avoid further outbreaks
- All types of training activities must be carried out in a way that ensures the Government of BC’s recommendations on distance between people and group gathering are complied with, i.e. keeping a 2-meter (6 feet) distance between participants at all times.
- No sports activity or training involving a group of more than 50 people shall be carried out if at least 2 meters of distance between individuals cannot be properly maintained.
- Participants are recommended to only use their own equipment. Any shared equipment needs to be properly sanitized immediately after each use.
- Physical contact is not permitted.
- In activities for children and adolescents, an adult who can ensure the activity is carried out in accordance with the requirements and recommendations of public health authorities and special sporting COVID-19 rules must be present.
- No common change rooms shall be used, including changing into ski boots and other ski gear in the club cabin, unless necessary to perform job duties. Participants are encouraged to arrive ready to participate.
- Participants are encouraged to avoid the use of public transport to and from sports activities.
- Everyone attending an activity will have easy access to hand washing with soap and water or hand sanitizer.
3. Our Plan in the event that a case or outbreak should occur
- If someone shows symptoms of COVID-19 they must immediately let the organizer know and isolate themselves.
- We will make decisions to cancel, postpone or modify any activity if one or more cases of potential infection are reported.
- We will promptly communicate all information regarding reported cases at any event with everyone who has participated or been involved.
- Any person/s showing symptoms must self-isolate as per BCCDC guidelines.